NG 900/9-3 Water Pump Replacement
From The Saab Tech Wiki
- Open the radiator drain plug and drain out the coolant. Remove the lid of the expansion tank to speed up the draining.
- Remove the air cleaner housing.
- Undo the intake hose and plug the pipe (turbo).
- Remove the bypass hose and remove the pressure pipe between the charge air cooler and the throttle body (turbo).
- Release the tension on the belt tensioner with a 1/2" square extension bar and place a 6 mm drill in the hole.
- Undo the steering servo pump with its console and hang it up on the radiator crossmember.
- Undo the coolant hoses and the pipes on the pump.
- Undo the screw which holds the coolant pipe in the engine's front left-hand corner.
- Remove the hose to the throttle body from the coolant pipe and undo the screws on the thermostat housing. Move the pipes to one side.
- Remove the boost pressure control valve and move it to one side (turbo).
- Remove the coolant pump.
- Remove the sleeve with the O-rings and remove the coolant pump from the pump housing.
- Clean the sealing surfaces and fit the coolant pump to the pump housing.
- Lubricate the O-rings with an acid-free vaseline and fit the sleeve together with the pump.
- Refit the boost pressure control valve (turbo).
- Refit the coolant hose to the throttle body and refit the screws on the thermostat housing.
- Refit the screw which holds the coolant pipe to the front left-hand corner of the engine.
- Reconnect the coolant hoses and pipes to the coolant pump.
- Refit the steering servo pump with its bracket and put the belt back.
- Relieve the belt tensioner of strain, using a 1/2" square extension bar, and remove the drill.
- Refit the pressure pipe between the charge air cooler and the throttle body and refit the bypass hose (turbo).
- Refit the intake hose (turbo) and refit the air cleaner.
- Make sure that the radiator drain plug is screwed in tight. Fill with coolant and check the system for leaks.