The second-generation SAAB 9-3 was launched in January 2002, at the North American International Auto Show for MY2003. The second generation 9-3 was based upon the GM Epsilon platform which it shared with both the Cadillac BLS and Opel Vectra. The 9-3 was available in SportSedan, Convertible and SportCombi (Wagon) and was produced from 2003 through to 2014.
Changes & Revisions
- Tie-downs for net in trunk gone.
- Passenger floor mat holders gone.
- Headlamp washers...pop-up style replaced by permanently raised washers.
- Locking mechanism for gas cap gone.
- Dead pedal in carpet gone (only a limited run at very beginning of 03).
- Different GM-designed gas tank (rumour)
- Aero now comes in the full palette of colors (instead of just Black, Red, White, Steel Grey & Graphite Green)
- Carpet changed from a berber-type.
- Ignition switch light gone.
- Wood trim in Arc is different
- Upshift light for manual trannies gone.
- Some unspecified change that resulted in becoming the first car ever to be called the IIHS "Double Best Pick".
- Colors Midnight Blue, Dolphin Grey, Cosmic Blue gone.
- Colors Nocturne Blue, Espresso Black, Glacier Blue, Hazelnut , and Lime Yellow (convertable only) added.
- Linear with 175 HP engine added to convertible lineup for North America
- Rear Passenger vents in Linear centre console gone.
- Interior Motion Detection gone, removed halfway through MY2004.
- Sunroof button different.
- CRAS indicators go from sewn in to heat-staked.
- Dash indicator lights different & move around for 2005.
- Speed dependant Volume (SDV) actually works.
- Aux-in standard on all models except Linears.
- No Manual 6-speed, only 5 speed (USA only).
- Tire Pressure Monitors-gone,
- Passenger side lumbar support-gone.
- Navigation added for the US market.
- OnStar gone.
- Driver's side door trunk release...no longer illuminated.
- Storage console in rear centre armrest gone.
- Moonroof has plastic trim around it instead of black flocking.
- 'SAAB' embroidered logo on front floor mats gone.
- Passenger floor mat holders returned.
- Parchment floor carpet changed so all models have Grey carpet.
- Colors Espresso Black, Graphite Green, Merlot Red, Hazelnut, Glacier Blue gone.
- Colors Chili Red, Parchment Silver & Smoke Beige added.
- Sportcombi Added! (Never available in any shade of white however.)
- Body coloured door handles.
- 250bhp 2.8T engine with dual round tailpipes for Aero model
- Bosch engine management for 2.8T.
- Stitching on leather shift knob is different.
- Phone button is now spelled out PHONE instead of the handset picture.
- Plastic moulding around sunroof is different.
- Floor mats are different.
- Aero steering wheel has silver thumb inserts.
- There is a airbag off indicator on the right side of the instrument panel.
- 20th Anniversary Edition for Convertible with:
Electric Blue Metallic paint, Electric Blue tonneau cover, Electric Blue interior door trims.
- Parchment coloured leather sports interior with matching Electric Blue trim lines in the centre.
- 2.8L V6 and in Aero trim (NA only, ROW had all engine/trim choices)
- Touring Package (NA only, ROW have as option)
- Rear spoiler (NA only, ROW have as option)
- Unique double five-spoke 17" aluminium wheels (optional 18" 10 spoke aluminium wheel in ROW)
- 13 speaker audio changed to 10 speaker audio.
- Aero automatic transmission now 6-speed instead of 5-speed.
- 6 speed manual returns, but only with Aero 2.8T
- Linear model and 2.0t (175 HP) engine no longer available in North America.
- Arc model name dropped in North America. Now referred to as 2.0T
- Garrett turbo previously used in 1.8t and 2.0t from 2003-2005 is no longer used for these engines. All turbos for 4 cylinder engines now sourced from Mitsubishi.
- Colors Jet Black, Fusion Blue, Arbor Green & Electric Blue (20th anniversary convertible only) added.
- A new dash!
- Premium audio is no longer 10 speaker 300W Clarion/Pioneer, but Bose system with 260W and 9 speakers
- Felt added to door seals, replacing rubber
- Additional sound damping materials added
- 60th Anniversary Edition available.
- Colors Arbor Green & Sapphire Blue gone.
- Colors Titan Gray (sedan and combo only), Ice Blue (60th only), & Silver Added
- Exterior refresh!
- Xenon cornering headlamps
- Two types of leather now available: leather appointed and natural leather
- Black leather now optional on all models.
- 5-speed manual dropped on 2.0T, 6-speed manual and 5-speed automatic only for 2.0T. Aero transmission choices identical to 2006/2007.
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution standard.
- Late model year introduction of Turbo X with:
2.8T engine producing 280 HP and 295 lb/ft TQ, XWD, eLSD, 18" wheels, Jet Black only,
- Colors Chili Red, Lime Yellow, & Silver...gone
- Colors Snow Silver, Pepper Green, Steel Grey (not available in North America, vert only), Lynx Yellow (vert only), & Arctic White (vert only) Added
- XWD now available on 2.0T. Now standard with Aero trim package. Not available on convertible.
- Colors Carbon Gray & Glass Gray added.
- Introduction of 9-3X.
- 2.8T V6 dropped
- Revised front bumper with new fog lights.
- Headlights are now blue tinted.
- 'SAAB' used in place of griffin badge on boot/tailgate handle.
- New interior trims with bamboo textured leather
- New dashboard trim with the option of Titan Silver or Cubic.
- New alloys, ALU 88 and ALU 90.
- All badges replaced with new style "SAAB" badges.
- New seats with one pice anti-whiplash head restraint.
- Only available in Aero trim level.
- Only avaliable in silver or black.
- Only available as SportSedan
|Model||Years||Engine and type||Displ.||Power||Torque||Turbocharger|
|1.8i||2004–2009||I4 16V||Ecotec||1796 cc||90kW @ 5800 rpm||167Nm @ 3800 rpm||None|
|1.8t||2002–2014||I4 16V||Ecotec LK9||1998 cc||110kW @ 5500 rpm||240Nm @ 2000–3500 rpm||Low-pressure|
|2.0t||2002–2014||I4 16V||Ecotec LK9||1998 cc||129kW @ 5500 rpm||265Nm @ 2500–4000 rpm||Mid-pressure|
|2.0T||2002–2014||I4 16V||Ecotec LK9||1998 cc||154kW @ 5300 rpm||300Nm @ 2500–4000 rpm||High-pressure|
|2.8T V6||2005–2007||V6 24V||LP9||2792 cc||185kW @ 5500 rpm||350Nm @ 1800–4500 rpm||High-pressure|
|2.8T V6||2007–2008||V6 24V||LP9||2792 cc||188kW @ 5500 rpm||355Nm @ 1800–4500 rpm||High-pressure|
|2.8T V6||2008–2010||V6 24V||LP9||2792 cc||206kW @ 5500 rpm||400Nm @ 2150 rpm||High-pressure|
|1.8t BioPower||2007–2014||I4 16V||Ecotec LK9||1998 cc||129kW @ 5500 rpm||265Nm @ 2500–4000 rpm||Mid-pressure|
|2.0t BioPower||2007–2014||I4 16V||Ecotec LK9||1998 cc||147kW @ 5500 rpm||300Nm @ 2500–4000 rpm||High-pressure|
|1.9 TiD||2004–2014||I4 8V||Z19DT||1910 cc||88kW @ 4000 rpm||280Nm @ 2000–2750 rpm||High-pressure|
|1.9 TiDS||2004–2014||I4 16V||Z19DTH||1910 cc||110kW @ 4000 rpm||320Nm @ 2000–2750 rpm||High-pressure|
|1.9 TTiD||2007–2014||I4 16V||Z19DTR||1910 cc||132kW @ 4000 rpm|| 400Nm @ 2000–2500 rpm*1
370Nm @ 2000–2500 rpm*2
|High-pressure twin turbo|
|2.2 TiD||2002–2004||I4 16V||D223L||2171 cc||92kW @ 4000 rpm||280Nm @ 1500 rpm||High-pressure|
| *1 For vehicles with manual transmission|
*2 For vehicles with automatic transmission